Cashews are a god-send! Not on the same page? Well, I think cashews are seriously nifty nuts. These little things can be morphed into so much dairy-free/vegan goodness, it blows my mind.
This Basic Cashew Cream Sauce is so versatile! It can be used as a dairy-free/vegan substitute for almost any recipe that requires a cream or cheese-style sauce. It is a great base for dairy-free alfredo sauces, creamy salad dressings, soup thickeners, casserole sauces, dips, pizza topping, vegan sour cream... I could go on and on, but you get the point! This Cashew Cream Sauce is an amazing little dairy-free tool to have in your toolbox and with little tweaks here and there you can transform it into almost any cream sauce you would need for any dairy-free or vegan dish imaginable!
- 1 CUP RAW CASHEWS
- 1/2 CUP FILTERED WATER *more if you want a thinner sauce
- 1/2 TSP SALT
OPTIONAL ADDITIVES FOR A "CHEESY" FLAVOR
- 1 CLOVE GARLIC
- 1 TBSP LEMON JUICE
- 1/4 CUP NUTRITIONAL YEAST
- START BY SOAKING THE CASHEWS OVERNIGHT OR IF YOU'RE SHORT ON TIME PLACE CASHEWS IN A POT WITH WATER AND BOIL FOR 30 MINUTES. DRAIN AND RINSE.
- ADD SOAKED CASHEWS TO BLENDER WITH THE 1/2 CUP WATER, SALT & OPTIONAL ADDITIVES, IF USING. BLEND FOR A GOOD MINUTE OR TWO UNTIL CREAMY CONSISTENCY IS ACHIEVED - MAKING SURE TO SCRAPE DOWN SIDES OF BLENDER IN BETWEEN. (ADD MORE WATER IF A THINNER CONSISTENCY IS WANTED.)
- POUR IN GLASS JAR AND STORE IN THE REFRIGERATOR FOR 3-5 DAYS.