When I first started experimenting with gluten free/dairy free baking these were one of my first creations. They were actually the result of a banana bread attempt that went seriously wrong. But that's besides the point, right? These cookies ended up being one of my favorites, along with my husbands. AND it actually could be part of the reason I landed the job I have right now meal planning for an amazing family that I adore! (That could be a serious exaggeration but let's go with it...)
Last year on Valentine's day my husband (Matt) and I were riding bikes to a local yoga studio to take a breath work class. On the way we rode past a family having an orange juice stand (no, i did not mean lemonade stand) and they were also giving away Valentine's day goodies. I was on a mission to get to where we were going, but Matt hit the breaks. 1.) because he loves orange juice and 2.) he recognized the guy as one of his clients that comes into the barbershop. Matt calls me over to come get some treats and I grumpily say "I'm good," knowing the goodies probably aren't gluten free or dairy free. To my surprise, he yells back at me "they're all gluten free and dairy free!" Needless to say I ride my little ass over there and grab me some treats. Come to find out, all of their kids are gluten free/dairy free and I seriously lucked out with some goods.
When we got back to our house later that afternoon I surprised Matt with some homemade coconut milk ice cream sandwiches made with these cookies (because they're his fav.) We decided to wrap some up and drop them off at that families house for them and their kiddos. A few weeks later the dad of the family comes back into the barbershop to get his hair cut from my husband. He jokingly asked how they could pay me to make them and their kids treats weekly because they really enjoyed the ice cream sandwiches. Long story short (and almost a year later) I actually changed my entire career path and started working for this family in their home. Meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking for these amazing people that I love. Literally and figuratively speaking, these cookies changed my life! I mean, maybe not but they are seriously good!
Really though, who doesn't like banana bread?! If you're one of those people I don't know if we can be friends. And cookies... everyone likes cookies! Test these babies out. They're gluten free, dairy free, vegan and refined sugar free. Basically only 8 ingredients and I promise you they are SO simple! And who knows, maybe they're lucky cookies and they'll change your life too ;)
- 1 1/2 CUPS GLUTEN-FRE OAT FLOUR*
- 1/2 CUP GLUTEN-FREE OATS
- 1 TSP BAKING POWDER
- 1/4 TSP PINK SALT
- 1/4 TSP GROUND CINNAMON
- 1 CUP PITTED MEDJOOL DATES
- 1/2 UNSWEETENED PLANT-BASED MILK
- 1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- 2 OVERRIPE BANANAS
- 1/2 CUP CHOPPED CHOCOLATE
- LINE A BAKING SHEET WITH PARCHMENT PAPER AND PREHEAT OVEN TO 350.
- IN A LARGE BOWL MIX TOGETHER OAT FLOUR, OATS, BAKING POWDER, SALT, AND CINNAMON.
- IN A BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR MIX DATES, PLANT MILK, AND VANILLA. HALF WAY THROUGH, ADD IN THE OVERRIPE BANANAS UNTIL A SMOOTH CONSISTENCY IS ACHIEVED.
- ADD THE WET BANANA MIXTURE TO THE DRY INGREDIENTS AND MIX UNTIL COMBINED. FOLD IN YOUR CHOPPED CHOCOLATE.
- THIS BATTER WILL BE THICK. SCOOP MIXTURE BY THE SPOONFUL ONTO LINED BAKING SHEET. SLIGHTLY FLATTEN AND FORM WITH THE BACK OF YOUR SPOON. (THEY AREN'T GOING TO CHANGE SHAPE OR GET LARGER WHEN THEY BAKE SO MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE SIZE YOU PREFER.)
- POP IN THE OVEN AND BAKE FOR 12-14 MINUTES DEPENDING ON SIZE.
- REMOVE FROM OVEN AND ALLOW TO COOL FOR 5-10 BEFORE TRANSFERRING TO A COOKIE RACK TO COOL. (OR EAT RIGHT OUT OF THE OVEN BECAUSE DUH, THEY'RE COOKIES.)
*NOTES - TO MAKE YOUR OWN OAT FLOUR, MEASURE OUT 1 1/2 CUPS OATS AND PROCESS IN BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR UNTIL IT LOOKS LIKE DUSTY OAT-Y GOODNESS.