I'm going to warn you, this grain-free granola is crazy addictive! It's chunky & crunchy, full of superfoods, healthy fats, fibers & protein! I'm not kidding, I make a batch and it's doesn't even last a week in my house. No, not because my husband and I are both eating it... it's just me! It's a great smoothie topper, additive to yogurt, sub for cereal or perfect for a quick simple snack.
I've been making different versions of this recipe for a few years now but this one happens to be my favorite! I typically go to the bulk section of my local healthfoods market or Whole Foods & fill a few bags with a scoop of each of my favorite nuts and seeds. In this recipe I went a little bonkers and happened to use Cashews, Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Hemp Seeds, & Chia Seeds. But you can use whatever nuts and seeds float your boat! Just make sure you're using the same ratios that the recipe calls for!
The Chia Seeds & Hemp Seeds give this granola an additional Superfood nutritional punch. What makes these tiny little things so beneficial to you?
BENEFITS OF CHIA SEEDS-
- Fiber - Chia Seeds are extremely high in fiber. Consuming just 2 Tbsp a day will provide you with 41% of your daily needed Fiber intake.
- Calcium - Chia seeds contain 5X more Calcium than milk!
- Potassium - Instead of reaching for a Banana, add 2 Tbsp of Chia Seeds to your breakfast. Chia Seeds contain 64% MORE Potassium than a Banana.
- Omega-3 - Chia Seeds have contain 100% MORE Omega-3 Fatty Acids than Salmon!
- Antioxidants - 2 Tbsp of Chia Seeds contain 2X more Antioxidants than Blueberries! Which happens to make them one of the richest sources of Antioxidants!
- Magnesium - 2 Tbsp of Chia Seeds will provide you with 32% of your daily needed Magnesium intake!
- Protein - Just 2 Tbsp contain 20% protein!
BENEFITS OF HEMP SEEDS -
- Protein - Hemp Seeds are a Complete Protein. Meaning they contain all 20 amino acids but also the 9 essential amino aids are bodies are unable to produce on their own!
- Fiber - High in insoluble and soluble fiber, making it a natural colon cleaner and will help reduce sugar cravings!
- Vitamins & Minerals - Hemp Seeds are high in Vitamin A, C & E. As well as multiple minerals including Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, Sulfur, Iron, and Zinc.
- Omega-3 & Omega-6 - Hemp Seeds provide a 3:1 Omega-3 Omega-6 ratio which helps keep you heart healthy!
- Easily Digestible - Hemp Seeds are easier to digest than any other high-protein food. Including meat, whole eggs, cows milk & cheese.
Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, & can be made vegan - This crunchy, chocolatey granola is far from the processed sugar-packed, nutrient-deficient junk you'll typically find on the shelves of your supermarket.
- 3 TBSP WATER
- 1 TBSP GROUND FLAX SEEDS
- 1/2 CUP ALMONDS
- 1/2 CASHEWS
- 1/2 PECANS
- 1/2 WALNUTS
- 1 CUP SUNFLOWER SEEDS
- 1/2 CUP PUMPKIN SEEDS
- 1/4 CUP HEMP SEEDS
- 1/4 CUP CHIA SEEDS
- 1 CUP UNSWEETEND SHREDDED COCONUT
- 1/4 CUP MELTED COCONUT OIL
- 1/4 CUP MAPLE SYRUP
- 1 TBSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 TSP CINNAMON
- 2 TBSP RAW CACAO POWDER
- 1/2 TSP HIMILAYAN SALT
- 1 SCOOP ORGANIC GRASS-FED BEEF GELATIN (OPTIONAL- OMIT TO MAKE VEGAN)
- LINE A BAKING SHEET WITH PARCHMENT PAPER AND PREHEAT OVEN TO 300 DEGREES.
- MIX TOGETHER WATER AND GROUND FLAX AND SET ASIDE UNTIL A GEL-LIKE CONSISTENCY IS ACHIEVED.
- MEANWHILE, PUT ALL YOUR NUTS AND SEEDS IN YOUR BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR. PULSE A FEW TIMES UNTIL YOU HAVE A MIX OF CHOPPED NUTS/SEED AND GROUND NUTS/SEEDS. (JUST MAKE SURE NOT TO TURN YOUR NUTS/SEEDS INTO DUST BY OVER-PULSING.)
- IN A LARGE BOWL, WHISK YOUR MELTED COCONUT OIL, GROUND FLAX MIXTURE, MAPLE SYRUP, CINNAMON, RAW CACAO, & SALT TOGETHER.
- ADD YOUR CHOPPED NUTS/SEEDS TO THE WET MIXTURE.
- SPRINKLE WITH 1 SCOOP GELATIN & GIVE YOUR GRANOLA A REALLY GOOD STIR TO COMBINE.
- SPREAD YOUR MIXTURE OUT ON YOUR LINED BAKING SHEET AND POP IN PREHEATED OVEN.
- BAKE IN THE OVEN FOR 45 MINUTES TOTAL. TAKE OUT OF THE OVEN AFTER THE FIRST 20 MINUTES IS UP & STIR. PUT BACK IN THE OVEN FOR REMAINING 25 MINUTES.
- AFTER ENTIRE 45 MINUTES IS UP, REMOVE FROM OVEN AND DO NOT TOUCH! WHAT MAKES THIS GRANOLA SO CHUNKY IS LETTING IT COOL FOR A GOOD 15-20 MINUTES.
- ONCE YOU'VE LET COOL, BREAK IT UP, STORE IN A GLASS JAR, & TRY NOT TO EAT IT ALL IN ONE SITTING ;)