Super Bowl is right around the corner and it got me thinking about food. Am I alone on this?! I think the best thing about "the big game day" happens to be all the good eats. Anyway, I've had a serious craving for nachos lately but wanted to create a healthier dairy-free option. Enter stage right: Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos!
I tested these guys out this weekend and no joke, they are seriously delicious! Bonus: I didn't feel like crap after eating them because they are made with REAL FOOD and nutrient-dense ingredients. Double bonus: They were a hit! Not just in my eyes, but our friends who don't typically eat dairy-free, or vegan loved them as well! No neon yellow nacho cheese was being missed over here!
This recipe is a perfect appetizer to accommodate almost anyone. It's gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, can be made paleo, SERIOUSLY delicious and SO simple to throw together!
- 5-6 MEDIUM SWEET POTATOES
- 1 TBSP AVOCADO OIL (or oil of choice)
- 1 CAN BLACK BEANS (omit for paleo)
- 1 CUP PICO DE GALLO
- HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE
- 1 CUP CHEESY CASHEW CHEESE SAUCE (leave out miso paste for paleo)
- 1/2 CUP COYO PLAIN DAIRY-FREE YOGURT
- 2 SLICED JALAPENOS
- 1 HANDFUL OF CILANTRO, CHOPPED
- 1 LIME, QUARTERED
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 400. PLACE SWEET POTATOES DIRECTLY ON RACK AND COOK FOR 30 MINUTES TO SOFTEN.
- WHILE POTATOES ARE COOKING, SLICE JALAPENOS, CHOP CILANTRO, QUARTER LIME, DRAIN AND RINSE BLACK BEANS.
- REMOVE SWEET POTATOES FROM OVEN AND PUT IN REFRIGERATOR TO COOL A BIT.
- WHILE COOLING, ADD OIL TO CAST IRON SKILLET OVER MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT.
- AFTER SWEET POTATOES ARE COOL ENOUGH TO HANDLE, SLICE INTO WEDGES. ADD WEDGES TO HOT SKILLET IN BATCHES AND BROWN ON BOTH SIDES UNTIL COOKED THROUGH.
- ONCE ALL WEDGES ARE COOKED, REMOVE SKILLET FROM HEAT AND ADD ALL WEDGES BACK TO SKILLET.
- TOPPED WITH DRAINED BLACK BEANS, PICO DE GALLO, GUACAMOLE, DRIZZLE WITH CASHEW CHEESE SAUCE, DOLLOP WITH YOGURT, AND TOP WITH SLICED JALAPENOS, CHOPPED CILANTRO & LIME QUARTERS. SIT BACK & ENJOY!