Are you ever just in the mood to get in the kitchen & bake? On Friday I had an intense urge to do just that. I swear, there's nothing like turning on some music, flipping on the oven & putting some serious love into what you're baking.
We had plans to BBQ on Sunday with friends & I also had a lunch date with a girlfriend for her birthday on Saturday. So, I think instantly my mind goes to a baking as gift giving & I just love sharing goodies with friends. Especially when I can share something sweet, delicious & also healthy!
I adapted this recipe from Flame To Fork when I wasn't eating eggs due to a leaky gut issue. I was in desperate need for a chocolate chip cookie that was low in sugar, grain free & of course egg-less when I stumbled across their recipe. Gelatin instead of eggs?! Genius, why didn't I think of that sooner? & I was in luck because I had just stocked up on some Vital Proteins Gelatin. It was a match made in heaven!
I've adjusted the recipe quite a bit since then & this weekend I decided to make some fully loaded cookies. Seriously, the name of the cookie is no joke. These babies are full of walnuts, almonds, coconut, chopped dried figs, & of course CHOCOLATE. I used 100% cacao chocolate, making these cookies even lower on the sugar scale (which I love!)
These Kitchen Sink Cookies are heaven. They're perfectly chewy, sweet & salty. Oh, & did I mention they're grain free, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, refined sugar free, & paleo. Full of healthy fats, gut healing gelatin, & junk free? That's a guilt free cookie if you ask me...
Happy baking, friends!
KITCHEN SINK COOKIES
Makes about 24 cookies
3 cups blanched almond flour
1 1/2 tbsp Vital Proteins Unflavored Gelatin
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp himilayian pink salt
1/2 + 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/2 cup pure organic maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup chopped dried figs
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1 100% Cacao chocolate bar, chopped (or chocolate bar of choice)
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl add melted coconut oil, maple syrup & vanilla. Whisk until really well combined.
- In a large bowl combine almond flour, Gelatin, baking soda, & salt. Pour your wet ingredients in with your dry & fold together.
- Add in the nuts, coconut, figs & chocolate. Mix together with the back of your spoon or hands until everything is evenly distributed. The dough should be a little sticky but not enough to stick to your hands.
- Pop the dough in the fridge for 10 minutes. Take out & roll dough in to 1 inch balls. Place on baking sheet an inch apart & press down a bit with your hand. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until perfectly golden brown & your house smells like heaven.