How does anyone decide to come up with a banana bread recipe? Bananas that are way too overripe & you don't want to waste 'em, right? At least that's how the original banana bread recipe came about... that's my theory & I'm stickin' to it.
I typically don't eat bananas but Matt insisted on getting some the other week for his pre-run fuel. I knew he wouldn't eat 'em but we grabbed a couple anyway. At the end of the week, whadya know... we have two black bananas sitting in our fruit basket. (I swear he does this on purpose so I'll make banana bread or cookies.)
It just so happened to be his birthday week this week as well so he lucked out & got some fully loaded birthday banana bread. I usually toss overripe bananas into my Oatmeal Banana Bread Cookies but I was in the creative mood & decided a new Chunky Monkey Banana Bread recipe was going down.
This lovely loaf is gluten free, dairy free, vegan, & refined sugar free. Per ush, this stuff is completely junk free & seriously delicious. Not to mention, (except I am mentioning it) who doesn't love a house that smells like fresh baked banana bread? I sure as hell do.
Happy baking, my loves!
CHUNKY MONKEY BANANA BREAD
Makes 1 loaf
1/2 cup NuttZo Peanut Pro Smooth (or creamy nut butter of choice)
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 medium overripe bananas
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup pure organic maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour *
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp pink himalayan salt
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup chopped chocolate (I used a 100% Cacao bar)
- Preheat your oven to 350 & line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In your blender or food processor, add in all wet ingredients (including overripe bananas) & process until creamy. Make sure not to over-process or mixture will become gummy.
- In a large bowl, mixture together all dry ingredients (except the add ins) until well combined. Add the wet ingredient mixture to the dry ingredient bowl & mix well.
- Fold in the chopped nuts, chocolate, & coconut.
- Pour batter into pre-lined loaf pan (batter will be thick) & pop in the oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven & let cool for 30 minutes or so. Drizzle with any leftover chocolate, nuts & coconut if desired.
*Notes - To make gluten free oat flour, blend oats on high speed in blender until four consistency is achieved!